Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving Day



We went to my cousin Rosalind's home in Meadowbrook for the second year in a row. It is an annual extended-family gathering. Rosalind's grandmother, and my great aunt, Lee Quency, had hosted a big Thanksgiving dinner since I was a little girl. Since her passing, her children and grandchildren have carried on the tradition. She would be so proud at the job they have done.

Mama Jo, the twins, and I arrived late. Although the invitation was for 2 pm, I told my mom that my cousins have an uncanny way of saying grace just at the kickoff of the Cowboys game. I was right, but we arrived right after the blessing, and as the last person was sharing what they were thankful for, so we got a chance to join in. And then there was "the feast," as my son James calls it. For a little guy, he really looks forward to those. As I write this, he has already polished off 1 1/2 sweet potato pies at home.

Although Jared had only been to Roz's once before, he started saying and signing "tree" (repeatedly) as we drove up. He then made a beeline for the backyard where he'd climbed trees before. Unfortunately for him, Roz had recently had the tree's trimmed, so there were no low branches. It didn't stop him from trying or enlisting help though.

See Thanksgiving 2008 link to the right for photos.

2 comments:

JAMIE'S CREW said...

Hi Renee! Happy Thanksgiving! What part of Meadowbrook. I grew up over there. In fact went to high school at EHHS. Graduated in '81.

Renee said...

Hey Jamie. Sorry for the slow response, I've been away for a while. She lives not far from the Sandy Lane YMCA branch, east of 820. I was a Dunbar Wildcat, and graduated in '78. Small world.